WHAT IS TINNITUS?
Tinnitus is the perception of noise or ringing in the ears, that can be constant or intermittent, and should be medically evaluated. It can be associated with exposure to loud sounds, trauma, head injuries, too much ear wax, medication side effects, or other medical concerns.
WHEN TO SEE A PHYSICIAN FOR TINNITUS
- Does tinnitus make me irritable?
- Does tinnitus interfere with my sleep?
- Does tinnitus make it hard for me to relax?
- Does tinnitus interfere with my enjoyment of life?
- Have I been bothered by tinnitus for more than 50% of my waking hours over the past week?
If you answered “yes” to any of the questions, we recommend an evaluation with one of our physicians.
Tinnitus has many possible causes affecting people differently, there are several ways to manage the symptoms. Successful treatment depends on the individual and the degree of tinnitus present. Hearing aids with special programs designed to treat tinnitus have helped improve the quality of life for many people experiencing bothersome tinnitus.